The first issue of Bread Magazine in 2014 takes a fresh look at bread: what it means to us, what kinds of traditions are linked to this “staff of life”, a journey to bread making. And much more…
In This Issue
- A trip to Senegal got our editor thinking about great bread, memories, and how much stories mean to us.
- Master Baker Lionel Vatinet from La Farm Bakery shares his journey to first learning and then teaching the art and craft of bread making.
- Lionel Vatinet answers reader questions about making great bread.
- An exploration into the tradition, history and science of bread and salt.
- How Jukka Kotkanen uses his Raimugido rye sourdough starter to keep the tradition of Finnish rye bread making alive.
- Bread begins as the farmer sows the seeds that will later become flour. Three farmers talk about the first steps in this process.
- A visit to Better Health Bakery, a bakery in London that gives a new beginnings to people recovering from mental illness by providing them a safe place to work.
Articles In This Issue
This exploration of the tradition, history, and science of bread and salt answers questions such as why salt matters in both bread and culture, and how to best use it in your bread making.