Did you see our new issue yet? At 110 pages and ten articles written by a team of seven writers passionate about bread, the Summer 2016 issue is our longest and most varied yet. I think you’ll love it!

But before you check it out yourself, you’ll probably want to know a little about what’s inside?

Yeah, I thought so!

The Farmer, the Miller, and the Baker

The Miller, the Farmer, and the Baker

In this article, François Thibeault begins a series reporting an adventure of a lifetime: from 2014 to 2015, the home baker, traveler, and academic researcher from Quebec took his family on what he called the “Bread Trail”.

François writes:

“Our plan was to discover and experience the world as a family and to figure out a sustainable lifestyle for ourselves. As a university academic, I needed to breathe some fresh air. We had to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and becoming nomads for a year was just the right experiment in sustainability.

I had been a home bread baker for several years and even worked as a baker in a craft bakery in Savoie, France, fifteen years ago. Bread was, and still is, one of the mediums that connect me the most with the elements, people, and myself. I was eager to pursue what I called the Bread Trail.”

The first stop on the Bread Trail was at La Grande Suardière, a farm in Normandy, France, where Thierry and Cécile Hermeline run a country bakery, making bread with flour they grow and mill themselves.

In the article, François takes us with him to learn from the farmer-miller-bakers, and to take a look at the history of French paysans boulangers, farmer bakers.

Learning Artisan Baking in Barcelona

Learning Artisan Baking in Barcelona

Last September, Tia Ingle participated at the first-ever International Course of Artisan Baking in Barcelona organized by Josep Pascual and the local Bakers’ Guild.

Tia writes:

“Josep Pascual had invited several craftsmen from around the world to share their expertise on baking techniques and recipes. The course sold out within the week it was announced–I was happy that I had put my name down immediately!”

In the article, Tia shares her experiences and main takeaways from what sounds like a very special bread making course under the heat of the Catalan sun.

Why Bread?

Why Bread?

Sometimes, for the beginning baker, it might seem like bread making is a dark art far from your reach. In her article and focaccia recipe, Suzanne Dunaway comes to rescue.

She writes:

Having daily bread on the table does not mean meticulous, precise measurements, days and days of ripening starters, esoteric levains, temperature-controlled environments, and closets of equipment. A more than memorable loaf may be yours in one and a half hours, start to finish–without much effort.

I’ll Buy That: Affordability of Artisan Bread

I’ll Buy That: Affordability of Artisan Bread

In his article, Don Sadowsky takes on an important question: has good, traditional, healthy bread become something only the well-off can afford to eat?

Approaching the question from multiple angles, he arrives at an eye-opening conclusion: for most of us, the question boils down to how much we appreciate our bread.

Anyone who spends money makes decisions on how to spend it, whether they are constrained by lack of money or have tons of discretionary income to dispose of as they wish. Whether you can “afford” something is a question not only of how much money you have and what your needs are but how much you value that something.

But for the full picture, you should definitely read the entire article!

The Making of a Mill Maker

The Making of a Mill Maker

In this article, you’ll meet a true pioneer of home milling.

Since building his first mill in the 1970s, Wolfgang Mock has started two of the best-known mill companies in Europe, HaWo’s and KoMo, and designed mills for many others. After selling mills mostly in specialty and organic stores, in his third company, he is now going after the larger public with Mockmill, a stone mill attachment for stand mixers with a Hobart attachment hub, such as KitchenAid or Electrolux.

So, if you’ve tried a European-made home mill, you might very well have used one of Wolfgang Mock’s designs. And now, you’ll get to know the man behind the mills and why, approaching seventy, he still works hard to make the dream of seeing a mill in every kitchen a reality.

“All the aroma, all the necessary nutrients as we now know, are in the germ and the bran. And in the roller mills, those valuable parts are removed and sold to the animal feed industry. And what you have left over is just this white flour.”

A Baker’s Favorite Bread: Jeremiche

A Baker's Favorite Bread: Jeremiche

In the latest installment in the “Baker’s Favorite Bread” series, we meet Jeremy Zanni, or Jeremiche, a French baker from Ireland who feels strongly about the quality of life.

He says:

“I juggle my hours according to life, not the opposite, and I believe it makes an awful lot of difference on your sanity.”

Jeremy also shares his favorite bread, ficelle, and a recipe for you to try making it at home.

Well Done from the Start

Well Done from the Start

This June, Michael Sellers visited Zachary Golper at his New York bakery Bien Cuit for an interview. They talked about the baker’s journey to bread making, his thoughts on what it takes to get started, and his current focus on sustainable farming practices and local grain.

Golper says:

“I’m very proud to be part of an industry that affects such a huge amount of agriculture and such a large population. It’s really an honor to have the responsibility of feeding thousands of people every day, and I take that honor very seriously.”

Exploring the Gluten Sensitivity Epidemic

Exploring the Gluten Sensitivity Epidemic

In our most scientific article to date, Barbara ‘Elisi’ Caracciolo puts her scientist background into use to collect a comprehensive look into the roots of the gluten sensitivity epidemic: why a growing number of people are experiencing symptoms from eating bread and wheat, and what could be done to improve the state of things.

She writes:

The fact that I had problems tolerating even organic and sourdough fermented bread fueled my curiosity. It pushed my search for answers–and solutions. In this article, I will summarize some of the pieces of a complicated puzzle I hope we will complete soon.

Jeffrey Hamelman

Jeffrey Hamelman

In the issue’s final article, you’ll get to join me in an easygoing interview with Jeffrey Hamelman — certified master baker, beloved teacher, and author of Bread, A Baker’s Book of Recipes and Techniques — as we talk about the baker’s profession, craft, the rise of artisan bakeries, fresh flour, and more.

“I don’t like adjectives that are used to denote superiority. I use the word artisan from time to time, but only because there still isn’t a word that expresses that style of baking. When you use that as an adjective of superiority, that’s what’s a little bit troubling.”

Oh, and did you know that Hamelman initially wanted to release his book anonymously?

If that sounds like something you’d like to read, check out the issue now! (it’s only $2.99)

I’m biased, but I do think this new issue is our best so far.

And I’m pretty sure you’ll like it!

5 comments on “What’s Inside the Summer 2016 Issue?”

1. what an amazing issue you have put together Jarkko! nothing of this would have been written without you! thank you for your continuous effort to make BREAD Magazine grow!

1. Jarkko says:

Thank you, Barbara! I hope we’ll make many more 🙂

2. Mantana Heim says:

Love bread making but still a novice. I am looking forward to read and learn more. Thank you.

1. Jarkko says:

Thank you! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! 🙂

3. Luis Gil says:

Thanks for this amazing magazine!!!
    This kind of creativity and dedication to a craft is really appreciated
    Greetings from beautiful Mexico