The third issue of Bread Magazine explores the magical processes of fermentation: how those tiny cells of yeast and bacteria make a dough come to life — and how you can make the most of them in your baking.
In This Issue
- A look at what happens in a dough’s life cycle before it goes into the oven.
- An interview with Ying Shi, a talented home baker and a great example of how far deliberate practice will take you.
- How you can use preferments to give more flavor and better structure to your bread — it’s not hard at all.
- Step by step instructions for creating your own sourdough starter and then using it to bake great bread.
- How the opinionated but friendly French baker Sebastien Boudet is building a sourdough revolution in the Nordic country of Sweden.
- Troubleshooting a dough that is not rising or doesn’t produce the bread you had in mind.
- Ideas for what to do with all the sourdough starter you can’t use for bread making.
- An interview with Mike Zakowski, bread making world championship silver medalist and exceptional baker from the slow city of Sonoma Valley, California.
You can browse the magazine right on this page using the Issuu widget below (click on the magazine to enlarge it), or download the magazine as a PDF by clicking on the “Download for Free” button on the right.